Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Random green thoughts

I went for a run today along the biking/walking path that leads to the park north of us.  As I was plugging along, I was idly looking around and thinking about this and that. 

I was struck again by the lack of mowing here.  Most parks are too well used to need mowing anyways.  However, around the edges and other quiet corners, the grass and weeds grow shaggy.  I am not sure if I have seen or heard a lawn mower as of yet.

The Japanese seem ok with that.  Why they are quite tidy and will spend sweeping the street gutter in front of the house, they don't seem to have the need to conquer and subdue nature to the extent that we do in the States.

The yards, which are very small, are usually full of shrubs and flowering bushes or wall-to-wall gardens.  There is almost no unused land to be found.

No comments: